Monday, December 17, 2007

Spare Change

It is everywhere, under the sofa cushions, in the dryer clanging around, taking up vital cup holder space in you car, and just about everywhere else you look you can find change! You never find paper money in these places...although it would be nice....! People seem to think of change as insignificant. They can spare it....hence the term spare change....I like to put my change inside my pig...he holds about $90.00 when he is nice and full. Then I take him to work and cash him in. I think that it is funny to watch the satellite cage workers shake the pig vigorously trying to get the change out of his little belly hole. It takes forever but with every shake I smile inside! Anyway, that is really off topic...I was thinking about spare change because my husband likes to leave change all over the house. I just pulled two flaming hot quarters out of the dryer and threw them across the laundry room. I will find them later and add them to the pig.

I starting thinking about Change...the money kind and the life kind. Just like spare change....sometimes changes in my life can seem insignificant. Things that are big for me are small for everyone around me...I feel like I am climbing these huge walls and when I get to the top no one notices that I have just scaled a 587 foot wall with nothing but a roll of dental floss, a watermelon, and suction cup. They just look at me like I should have been there all along and it should not have been that hard.

I make small changes all the time, I never really pay that much attention to them but then all the changes seem to creep up on you and you feel like you have just lost sight of who you wanted to be...even though you are doing what you wanted to do.

I just graduated from College...I want to further my education, but I want to take a small break to get some things in order. I have been working hard for a while now and I am so relieved that I am done....but I can't help but feel that this change in my life is insignificant....spare, if you will. I started to make a big deal out of it, but then I realized something...like anything else....what is a big deal to me is not always a big deal.....sometimes I over anticipate what others will think.

I have gone through a lot of changes in the last few months....my boss, and good friend quit, and I am having to do things at work that no hourly employee should have to do, I finished school, I applied for a management job and am working my butt off to prove that I can do it to a bunch of people that are judging me because I was close to my old boss, don't even get me started on the recent medical barriers that I have been faced with.....among other things.....Each one affected me but at the same time I was able to tackle....but just like the change in my pig adds up so did the change in my life.....now I am feeling a little scattered....not to mention crazy....

3 comments:

faintnot said...

I remember when we ate meals on the spare change I found around the house, especially in the sofa cushions and last winter's pockets...We do tend to see other people's small change as inssignificant but we shouldn't...You have gone through a lot of changes reacently...I need to pay more attention. Love you much!

Jimmy Fendzlau said...

That's funny, because one day I was walking around and my right foot started hurting real bad. Now, you would think that walking around all day would make both feet hurt, and I found this quite odd. When I arrived home and took off my shoe, I found a nickel. It’s amazing that one dumb nickel worth five pennies or ½ dime could mess up my whole day, and perhaps the next day as well. Generally when I find change I get excited, I don’t know what it is with our family and why we all have piggy banks, but I find that change is good, just not when we let it change our stride. There could be all the change in the world, but if we let it distress the way we walk with God, then were not changing anymore, were stumbling. I think you’re doing a great job in life, and you deserve a break. I’ll change with you any day.

the stink said...

I agree with you Jimmy....that is why we are BFF!!!....lol.
I sometimes think that I have stumbled into some serious change but then find that it is someone elses spare change....insignifigant....I wonder how often I have made others feel that way about their acomplishments and cares! Is my spare change some one elses fortune?? I have been asking God to make me appreciate things in and for others....Ahhhh growth!